You are currently not Logged in or registered with us. To see all content and have permission to post and have access to more exciting tings, you need to be registered with us. If you are not, please click the Register link in the Navigation Bar. Thanks from the Admin team.
You are currently not Logged in or registered with us. To see all content and have permission to post and have access to more exciting tings, you need to be registered with us. If you are not, please click the Register link in the Navigation Bar. Thanks from the Admin team.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Website  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Gallery
Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge Empty
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
Admin
Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge Vote_lcapWeathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge Voting_barWeathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge Vote_rcap 
weathermaster
Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge Vote_lcapWeathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge Voting_barWeathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge Vote_rcap 
Mark
Zachary
Calum
Paul
stuart
magic
Nick2702
Lightningboy
El Nino/La Nina Index
Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge Elninometer+12

Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Calum

PostSubject: Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge   Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 6:38 am

Last saturday evening (19th June 2010) me and sean were on msn. We both came up with the idea of testing the royal mail on how long a letter takes to go from one place to another. As we all know sean lives on the Isle of Barra , a pretty isolated place out in the outer herbrides. This made it even more intresting , how long would it take? 1 day , maybe 1 month? , lol. On saturday evening i hand wrote a letter (yeah pretty messy) and popped it away in the post box up the road , via 1st Class Royal Mail (aka put a 1st class stamp on it , lol). It got collected at 5.30pm on Monday 21st June 2010 and started it's pretty big journey towards the western isles. Me and sean have been discussing its route and we think this was it's probable path.

Monday Evening :
At 5.30pm it departed the post box up the road en-route to haddington post office , it's first leg. Later on in the evening it left haddington post office to go to the huge sorting office at edinburgh (we know this cos the envelope was stamped in edinburgh). During the night , probably early hours of the 22nd , it left edinburgh airport to travel to inverness (happened in top gear episode when they raced a letter).

Tuesday :
We think it spent most of Tuesday in the Inverness sorting office before going on another plane journey to benbecula.

Wednesday :
Its likely it travelled by ferry to barra on wednesday , before being taken to castlebay post office. At 1.50pm on Wednesday 23rd June 2010 it arrived at sean's house , after a mamoth journey including 2 flights and a ferry ride.

After this sean typed up a reply to see how long it would take to reach me. He posted it on Thursday Evening and it was collected at 8.30am yesterday morning. It then travelled to barra airport (it's on a beach!! Very Happy) and took off in a twin otter plane to land at glasgow for 12.50pm. It then travelled along the M8 motorway to the edinburgh sorting office. In the early hours of this morning it probably travelled by truck or van to my post office and arrived here at 9.35am this morning.

It was an incredibly intresting experiment to conduct with sean and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Its intresting to see how the royal mail works and they do one hell of a good job! Very Happy

Times (1st class) :
Haddington to Isle of Barra (1 day , 20 hours and 20 mins)
Isle of Barra to Haddington (1 day , 1 hour and 5 mins)

Our next experiment is to send them via 2nd Class and time them.

Hope you enjoyed reading this! Very Happy

Pics :

My Letter at Sean's House
https://2img.net/h/i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg127/calum93_2008/IMG_0015.jpg

Seans Letter at My House (sorry it's blurry!)
https://2img.net/h/i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg127/calum93_2008/Pics52008.jpg

Speical thanks go to :
The Royal Mail for the safe delivery of our letters
Sean , for taking part in this
Innes and Sean for signing the letter , i like the signatures!

--
Calum

Last edited by Calum on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
weathermaster

weathermaster

PostSubject: Re: Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge   Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 7:15 am

Great post Calum and interesting results.
Back to top Go down
Zachary

Zachary

PostSubject: Re: Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge   Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 9:04 am

My signature is freaking class.
Back to top Go down
Calum

PostSubject: Re: Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge   Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 10:17 am

rofl innes , ur handwriting on the envelope was very good! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge   Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 1:10 pm

An excellent account of what you did. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://weatherconnect.forumotion.com
Zachary

Zachary

PostSubject: Re: Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge   Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 1:21 pm

Uh-huh.
Back to top Go down
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge   Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 4:04 pm

I might have ago at this, msn me if you like!! The post round here is quite bad! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.weatherconnect.co.uk
Calum

PostSubject: Re: Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge   Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 pm

yeah sure thing , speak to u on msn some time. Would be intresting to see the results
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge   Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge Empty

Back to top Go down

Weathermaster and Calum's Royal Mail Challenge
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Living Room :: Lounge-
Jump to: